Care for U.S. Service Members and First Responders with Brain Injury and Related Physical and Psychological Health Concerns
What is SHARE at Shepherd Center?
SHARE is a care program for military veterans, service members, and first responders who are ready to accept help and healing for their daily struggle with traumatic brain injuries and mental health concerns; SHARE is the only comprehensive rehabilitation program with:
- flexible programming options
- collaborative care
- transition support
- community reintegration
INQUIRE ABOUT SHARE NOW
This program is offered at no cost to military veterans, service members, and first responders, such as:
- Current service members
- Law enforcement officers
- EMTs (medics and paramedics)
SHARE can help you if you're are experiencing symptoms of or have a diagnosis of:
- Mild to moderate traumatic brain injury AND one of the following:
- Concussions/head trauma
- Co-occuring psychological or behavioral health concerns, including post-traumatic stress (PTSD)
In addition to traumatic brain injury, Shepherd Center also offers the following mental and behavioral health services:
- Post-traumatic stress (PTSD) outpatient treatment
- Individual, family and group therapy
- Client/family education
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Vestibular (dizziness and balance) evalutation and treatment
- Vocational/academic evaluation and community re-entry
- Life skills training and coaching
- Transition to home
- Web-based support and education about tools and strategies for therapy support
- Pain management
Brain Injury Treatment Programs
Mild traumatic brain injuries (TBI) can cause a variety of symptoms, including headaches and issues with balance, poor sleep, vision, memory and problem-solving, among others. But, like every SHARE client, every brain injury is unique. With that in mind, SHARE can customize an evaluation and treatment plan based on a client's personal needs.
SHARE offers different options of rehabilitation care and treatment:
- Eight- to 12-week treatment program
- Daily therapy
- Housing with on-site life skills support
- Visits with a physician, nurse, occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist, clinical social worker, psychologist, vocational specialist, case manager, recreational therapist, life coach and peer liaison
- Individual sessions and group sessions in skill development, community reintegration and family education
- 12 months of transition to community follow-up sessions with a life coach
- Additional services include Shepherd Spine and Pain Institute, complimentary lunches, transportation and access to Shepherd Center’s ProMotion Fitness Center.
- Four- to six-week treatment program
- Therapy from two to four days a week
- Housing with on-site life skills support depending on housing availability
- Visits with the following, depending on areas of need: physician, case manager, nurse, occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist, recreational therapist and psychologist
- Individual sessions and some individualized group treatments in foundational skill-building and family education
- Additional services may include Shepherd Spine and Pain Institute, complimentary lunches, access to Shepherd Center’s ProMotion Fitness Center, peer support and life coaching.
- Four to 12 weeks (varies based on individual needs)
- One to two visits per weeks
- Visits with one to two of the following: occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist
- Individual sessions
- Additional services may include psychology, recreational therapy, vocational counseling, case management and peer support.
Virtual Day Program:
- Due to COVID-19, the SHARE Military Initiative launched a virtual program to continue providing treatment to veterans and service members. We are licensed for telehealth in the states of Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia. Clients living in these states are able to participate in a three-day, in-person evaluation, and then continue the rest of their care virtually from home. If medically necessary, additional in-person visits can be scheduled.
Comprehensive Day Program:
- Those living in states where we are not licensed may be able to participate in-person, full time at our treatment facility in Atlanta. Those participating in full day program treatment will have to adhere to our COVID-19 safety guidelines.
- We can provide outpatient services virtually or in-person for clients in the states of Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia. We do not provide housing, lunches or transportation to those participating in our outpatient services.
For non-emergencies, call 404-603-4314 between 7:30 am - 4:00 pm to speak with a representative from our admissions team. If you call after hours, please leave us a message, and we'll return your call during our regular operating hours. You can also email us at SHAREadmissions@shepherd.org.
INQUIRE ABOUT SHARE NOW
Are you currently in an emotional crisis or concerned about someone who is?
If you are experiencing an emergency and need immediate assistance, call 988 for 24/7 help.