Health, Safety and Life After a Spinal Cord Injury
Learning About SCI Health Care
Life after a spinal cord injury often changes drastically for the person who experienced the injury, as well as family, caretakers and loved ones. Loss of mobility not only changes how one lives life; it also changes a person’s approach to nutrition, health and safety issues.
Post Spinal Cord Injury Health Issues
People who are navigating life after a spinal cord injury have an increased risk for health problems. Many live with varying levels of chronic pain. If your loved one is experiencing health issues or if you are caring for a quadriplegic, it can be helpful to understand as much as possible about their condition.
Common health issues and conditions may include:
- Autonomic Dysreflexia: Autonomic dysreflexia is a serious health condition that occurs in people who have sustained a spinal cord injury, where nerve signals are blocked from reaching the brain. This can result in a dangerous rise in one's blood pressure, which can lead to strokes, heart attacks and even death.
- Bladder Care: After a spinal cord injury, the bladder will no longer work in the same way it did before the injury. Learn about the function and care for urinary issues after a spinal cord injury occurs.
- Bowel Care: Similar to care for the bladder after a spinal cord injury, the bowel will no longer work like it did before the injury. Learn about the health, function and care for bowel issues after a spinal cord injury occurs.
- Safety Issues: With the loss of sensation in parts of the body and changes in mobility, many new safety issues may arise. Learn about the safety issues faced by people who have sustained a spinal cord injury.
- Skin Care: Skin care is one of the most important aspects of post-spinal cord health and wellness. Learn how to watch for sores and how to properly care for your skin after a spinal cord injury.
- Trouble Swallowing: Swallowing disorders can occur after a spinal cord injury. Learn about swallowing disorders and how they can be treated.
Mental Health and Wellness Concerns After a Spinal Cord Injury
There are many other health and wellness issues that may occur following a spinal cord injury. Mental health and wellness is important to prioritize as one adjusts to life after an injury. Nutrition needs may also change as the body may lose muscle mass. Other safety concerns may involve proper use and care of medical equipment, such as a wheelchair.
For more information on SCI healthcare after a spinal cord injury, visit MyShepherdConnection.org.