Adventure Skills Workshop
Registration for Adventure Skills Workshop (ASW) is now open!
Register for Adventure skills workshop
Please note that all participants, caregivers, friends, and/or attendants must have their email addresses to sign up for their CampDoc account. Participants will sign up as participants, and all others will sign up as attendants.
Shepherd Center's annual Adventure Skills Workshop (ASW) is a fun-filled spring weekend designed for people with spinal cord injury or disease, acquired brain injury, multiple sclerosis, spina bifida, post-polio syndrome, Guillain-Barré syndrome, transverse myelitis or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Participants get hands-on practice in activities they have always loved and those they have always wanted to try.
Whether you are newly injured and attending for the first time or an Adventure Skills Workshop veteran coming back for more, be assured that you’ll have the opportunity to explore new activities, learn new skills, meet new people and have fun. We believe you’ll leave with a new outlook on life – seeing every day as an adventure.
ASW is held every year in May at Camp ASCCA, an accessible facility on Lake Martin near Jackson’s Gap, Alabama, about two and a half hours from Atlanta. Participants receive directions and a detailed information packet. Housing is in air-conditioned group cabins with a limited number of private rooms. If you need assistance with self-care, transfers, mobility, following maps or directions, feeding, or anything else, you must bring a friend or family member.
|Featured Leisure Skill Instruction|
|Participation in some activities may be limited based on physical ability.|
Details for Camp ASW 2023
Our annual Adventure Skills Workshop (ASW) will be held from Friday, May 19 to Sunday, May 21.
- Dates: May 19-21, 2023
- Check-in: Friday, May 19, from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Please note that Alabama is on Central Time (CST)
- Check-out: Sunday, May 21, by 9:30 a.m.
Registering to Participate
- Accepted participants will be notified starting March 24, and this process will continue until the camp is at total capacity.
- The registration deadline is Friday, April 21. Space is limited; registration may close before the deadline if spaces fill.
- Participants: $225 - covers meals, lodging, activities, instruction, and a t-shirt.
- Attendants/Caregivers: $205 - covers lodging, meals, and a t-shirt.
- Limited financial assistance is available.
Participation Notes and Requirements
- Caregivers/family members under the age of 18 are not allowed.
- To participate in water activities, each participant must complete the swim test. The swim test consists of wearing a life jacket and completing the following:
- Holding your breath for 20 seconds while face-down in the water
- Rolling over from your stomach to your back
- Floating on your back, with a lifejacket on, for one minute unassisted (only if you wish to swim unattended in the pool)
If you would like accommodations other than the camp’s lodging, you can contact the following area hotels to make your reservations. Please note that no discount on the registration fee will be given if you choose to provide your accommodations outside of Camp ASCCA. Each hotel has limited accessible rooms, so please reserve your room before returning your registration form.
- American Inn: (256) 329-8858
- Days Inn: (256) 234-6311
- Quality Inn: (256) 234-5900
- Super 8: (256) 234-7099
Current COVID-19 requirements for attending camp
- This will be determined closer to the event, with more details if needed. We want to make sure we are keeping all people safe.
For more information, email Kelly Edens or call 404-350-7793.