Adventure Skills Workshop
About the Adventure Skills Workshop (ASW)
Shepherd Center's annual Adventure Skills Workshop (ASW) is a fun-filled spring weekend designed for people with spinal cord injury or disease, acquired brain injury, multiple sclerosis, spina bifida, post-polio syndrome, Guillain-Barré syndrome, transverse myelitis or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Participants get hands-on practice in activities they have always loved, as well as those they have always wanted to try.
Whether you are newly injured and attending for the first time, or an Adventure Skills Workshop veteran coming back for more, be assured that you’ll have the opportunity to explore new activities, learn new skills, meet new people and have fun. We believe you’ll leave with a new outlook on life – seeing every day as an adventure.
ASW is held every year in May at Camp ASCCA, an accessible facility located on Lake Martin near Jackson’s Gap, Alabama, about two and a half hours from Atlanta. Participants receive directions and a detailed information packet after submitting an application to attend. Housing is in air-conditioned group cabins with a limited number of private rooms for couples. If you need assistance with self-care, transfers, mobility, following maps or directions, feeding or anything else, you must bring a friend or family member to assist you.
|Featured Leisure Skill Instruction|
|Participation in some activities may be limited based on physical ability.|
Details for Camp ASW 2022
Our annual Adventure Skills Workshop (ASW) will be held Friday, May 20 to Sunday, May 22, and we will be celebrating our 30th Anniversary!
- Dates: May 20-22, 2022
- Check-in: Friday, May 20 from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Please note that Alabama is on Central Time (CST)
- Check-out: Sunday, May 22 by 9:30 a.m.
Registering to Participate
- Registration will OPEN on Thursday, March 17.
- Participants will apply to participate for ASW 2022.
- Accepted participants will be notified starting Friday, April 1 and this process will continue until camp is at full capacity.
- Registration deadline is Friday, April 22. Space is limited, and registration may close before the deadline if spaces fill.
- Participants: $225 - covers meals, lodging, activities, instruction and a t-shirt.
- Attendants/Caregivers: $205 - covers lodging, meals and a t-shirt.
- Limited financial assistance is available.
Participation Notes and Requirements
- Each participant can bring one family member or caregiver with them to attend camp.
- Caregivers/family members under the age of 18 are not allowed.
- To participate in any water activities, each participant must complete the swim test. The swim test consists of wearing a life jacket and completing the following:
- Holding your breath for 20 seconds while face-down in the water
- Rolling over from your stomach to your back
- Floating on your back, with lifejacket on, for one minute unassisted (only if you wish to swim unattended in the pool)
If you would like accommodations other than the camp’s lodging, you can contact any of the following area hotels to make your own reservations. Please note that there will be no discount given on the registration fee if you choose to provide your own accommodations outside of Camp ASCCA. Each hotel has a limited number of accessible rooms, so please reserve your room prior to returning your registration form.
- American Inn: (256) 329-8858
- Days Inn: (256) 234-6311
- Quality Inn: (256) 234-5900
- Super 8: (256) 234-7099
Current COVID-19 requirements for attending camp
- The extent of what will be required for masks will be determined closer to the event.
- A negative COVID test may be required up to 72 hours prior, regardless of vaccination status. This will be determined closer to the event with more details.
- Please note these guidelines above can change at any time up to the week of camp as we want to make sure we are keeping all persons safe.
Due to restrictions related to COVID-19 we will have one camp this year and will be limited on participants due to space and housing on campus. We hope that we will be back to full capacity by 2023.
For more information, email Kelly Edens or call 404-350-7793.