Wheelchair Skills Clinic
Shepherd Center’s Advanced Wheelchair Skills Clinic aims to provide persons who are currently using manual wheelchairs with continued education to learn, review and practice wheelchair skills under the guidance of Shepherd Center therapists. Practicing these skills may translate into increased confidence, safety, and independence when performing manual wheelchair skills during daily activities and in the community. Skills covered in this clinic may include propulsion technique, wheelies, curbs, falling safely, uprighting the wheelchair, and negotiating elements such as grass, stones, sand, and stairs. Participants must bring their own manual wheelchair, and staff will be unable to modify or repair any chairs during this clinic.
- October 8, 2022
- 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Shepherd Center (MS Rehabilitation and Wellness Center)
This clinic is appropriate for:
- Persons who use a manual wheelchair as their primary means of independent mobility.
- Persons independent in personal care or who will have a caregiver present.
- Persons with a working wheelchair that does not currently require maintenance.
This clinic has a maximum participation of 20 people.
Please make us aware if any of the following apply to you:
- Recent or unstable fracture of the spine or extremities (within the past six months).
- A wheelchair that currently requires maintenance (If so, please make an appointment with your supplier and address these issues before registering for this course)
Other Important Information
- A caregiver or friend may attend to work on spotting technique, but is not required to participate.
- Weather permitting, this course will be held outside at Shepherd Center. The alternate location for this clinic is the plaza level of the Woodruff Family Residence Center.
- Please wear closed-toe shoes to prevent foot injury.
- Please remember that wheelchair maintenance will not be performed during this clinic.
- This clinic is not intended to serve as, or replace formal therapy.
Registration is required for all events and opens six weeks before the start of the class or course. There is no charge for this course.
All staff, volunteers, and participants will be required to follow our Covid-19 policy at the time of the event. If masks are required, they will be provided to all participants.