The Neuropsychology Department at Shepherd Center provides comprehensive neuropsychological and psychological services and is staffed by a variety of Behavioral Health Professionals, including:
- Licensed Professional Counselors
- Social Workers
- Neuropsychology Fellows
These professionals are located on all services at Shepherd Center, both inpatient and outpatient, including:
- Inpatient units (Acquired Brain Injury and ICU)
- Day programs (ABI)
- Individual outpatient evaluations and interventions in various clinics throughout the Center (Outpatient Neuropsychology Clinic, Shepherd Pathways, Multiple Sclerosis Institute, Multispecialty Clinic, and SHARE)
As such, the Department staff offers neuropsychological and psychological services during each phase of the rehabilitation process, from inpatient to acute outpatient to longer term treatment and annual follow-ups, including comprehensive evaluations. These interventions address emotional, cognitive, and behavioral issues that can accompany the catastrophic injuries/illnesses treated here at the Shepherd Center.
Services and treatments offered:
- Neuropsychological Testing – neuropsychological evaluations assesses changes in thinking abilities, such as memory, attention, language, processing speed, and problem-solving skills, associated with various neurological and medical conditions. These evaluations may be requested to determine an individual’s current level of functioning, track change in cognitive abilities over time to determine response to medication/treatment or disease progression, assist with treatment planning, provide recommendations for treatments and strategies to help compensate for any changes in cognition and behavior, clarify diagnosis and prognosis, determine ability to return to school or work, or determine capacity to function independently.
- Psychodiagnostic Testing- psychological evaluations help to assess mood, personality, and psychological factors that can impact a person’s functioning. These evaluations can assist with determining most appropriate treatments or interventions, diagnostic clarification, and provide recommendations for treatments and strategies used for coping with emotional and physical difficulties.
- Psychotherapy counseling to facilitate adjustment to injury, illness, and disability. Addressing adjustment issues early on, and at every phase leads to improved outcomes providing key elements for successful reintegration into one’s life.
- Cognitive Rehabilitation
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Psychosocial training and education to patients and families
The Neuropsychology staff use integrative models that work within Shepherd’s deeply committed interdisciplinary teams. The philosophy of both the Department and Shepherd Center is that the neuropsychology staff are active members of the rehabilitation team. This allows for more direct and immediate communication about patients rather than a consultation model used by many hospital and rehabilitation centers.