Multiple Trauma Rehabilitation
Care and Rehabilitation at Shepherd Center for Patients with Multiple Traumas
Patients with catastrophic injuries and illnesses who seek treatment at hospitals specializing in complex rehabilitation are more likely to have fewer medical complications and achieve more independence. Shepherd Center’s team is highly skilled at caring for patients with multiple traumas, traumatic amputations, and those who use ventilators. We offer world-class clinical care, collaboration, research, and technology to our patients, all who deserve extraordinary outcomes.
What We Treat
Each year, more than 11% of patients who come to Shepherd Center need care for multiple injuries or illnesses resulting from a single event. These may include:
- Neurological injuries, including brain and spinal cord injury, stroke, and neurological diseases
- Orthopedic injuries, including traumatic amputations, fractures, and pain
- Pulmonary complications, including ventilator management, weaning, and post-ventilator complications
- Wounds, including pressure injuries and skin grafts
Services We Offer
- A 10-bed ICU, medical/surgical services, and extensive rehabilitation equipment and technology
- Arterial, cardiac, respiratory, and hemodynamic monitoring
- Skin, bowel, and bladder care expertise and training
- Nutritional assessment and management
- Expertise in preventing secondary complications
- Therapy staff members who assess patients for the earliest opportunity to be mobile, communicate, swallow, and begin the rehabilitation process
- A ventilator-weaning program, including the use of diaphragmatic pacing, with outstanding success rates
Our Care Team
- We have an employed team of physical medicine and rehabilitation, pulmonary/critical care, and neurology physicians, plus committed consulting physicians from 20 additional specialties.
- Our specialized care teams include physicians, nurses, patient care technicians, respiratory therapists, speech-language pathologists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, prosthetists, dietitians, psychologists, counselors, chaplains, recreational therapists, and exercise physiologists, as appropriate.
Personalized Access to Shepherd Clinics, Classes, and Services
Helping patients begin again starts with the most comprehensive and experienced clinical and rehabilitation program. We offer:
- A comprehensive, interdisciplinary approach that benefits high-risk patients with multiple medical needs
- Functional training in therapy three to five hours each day, five days per week, and one hour of individual, group, or community-based therapy on Saturdays
- Case managers to coordinate care and provide utilization review
- Three to five full days of intensive caregiver training plus ongoing support, education, and training to facilitate caregiver participation
- Mental health services/professionals help provide the emotional support patients need to cope with a variety of issues
- One-on-one and group peer counseling
- Assistive technology services that focus on maximizing independence and controlling one’s environment
- Vocational therapy services for return-to-work, and a full-time teacher and educational program for students to stay on track with their studies and goals to return to school
Learn More about Multi-Trauma Rehabilitation
Interested in learning more about Shepherd Center’s multi-trauma rehabilitation programs for inpatients or outpatients? Contact us today. We are happy to help answer your questions.