What to Bring to Shepherd Center
During your stay at Shepherd Center, having some of your personal items from home can make you feel more comfortable. This could mean bringing your books and photographs or a favorite T-shirt and sweater. The checklist below will help you pack for your stay at Shepherd. You may also download a PDF of this checklist here.
Items to Bring:
- Toothbrush and floss
- Comb or brush
- Shaving supplies
- Shampoo and other hair care products
- Hair dryer
- Eyeglasses and/or contact lenses
- Prescription and over-the-counter medications in their original containers
- Your doctor will need information on the exact brand and dosage you receive.
- You will need to provide all of these medications to your nurse to give to the in-hospital pharmacist for distribution to you.
- Shepherd Center can provide some personal care items, if needed.
For Medical/Surgical Patients:
If you are scheduled for surgery, be sure to bring pajamas or other comfortable clothes for your hospital stay.
For Rehabilitation Program Patients:
Rehabilitation patients will get up and get dressed every day for therapy. You will need an assortment of comfortable, loose-fitting clothes. For all clothes, be sure to label them with your name in permanent marker.
- Pants or shorts with elastic waistband, such as cotton or nylon sweatpants (consider going up one size)
- Comfortable, stretchy, oversized V-neck shirts
- Lightweight jacket
- Swimsuit (optional)
- Athletic shoes
- Outdoor wear during the colder months, including warm jacket, heavy sweater and hat
If additional clothes and/or personal items need to be purchased after the patient has been admitted, family members can request a free ride from Family Support Services at 404-367-1351 to take them within a 3-mile radius of the hospital on weekdays. The request must be made a full business day in advance of the day of the errand.
Washers and dryers are available on each floor for patient use.
As your rehabilitation progresses and you begin participating in community outings, you will need more usual daily wear. For these outings, you will need the type of clothes you wore before your hospital stay, such as casual pants and shirts, skirts or dresses and everyday shoes.
What Not to Bring:
- Valuable jewelry, expensive electronic items or large amounts of cash
- We recommend that no more than $10 be kept in your room at any time.
- Shepherd Center cannot accept responsibility for lost items.
- A small safe is available in patient rooms for the limited valuables you bring.
- Heaters, heating pads, or equipment for food preparations and storage
- Firearms, tasers or other weapons
- Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, e-cigarettes and vaping devices
- Shepherd Center is a non-smoking facility.