Multi-Specialty Clinic: Secondary Conditions Treatment Services
What is the Multi-Specialty Clinic?
Our Multi-Specialty Clinic provides care and treatment for the secondary conditions of patients who have experienced a catastrophic injury such as a spinal cord injury or a brain injury. Secondary conditions are health outcomes that occur as a direct result of a disability or injury and generally have a negative impact on a person’s state of health. The most common secondary conditions are pressure sores, respiratory complications, urinary tract infections, spasticity, and other musculoskeletal problems. These conditions are a major health issue for people living with catastrophic injuries and our team of Physiatrists are specifically trained to help manage your care while always including you and your loved ones in health care decision-making.
Patients Served at Our Multi-Specialty Clinic
We treat patients with the following injuries or illnesses:
- Spinal cord injury (SCI):
- paraplegia (complete or incomplete)
- tetraplegia (complete or incomplete)
- Non-traumatic spinal cord injury:
- spinal cord tumors/cysts
- spinal cord infarction
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Anoxic Brain Injury
- Cerebrovascular accident (CVA)
- Transverse myelitis
- Guillain-Barré syndrome
- Dual diagnosis (spinal cord injury with concurrent brain injury)
Multi-Specialty Clinic Services Provided
- Spasticity Management
- Intrathecal Pump Management
- Comprehensive Evaluation
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Neuropsychological Testing
- Medical Management
- Assistive Technology
- Urology Services
- Wound Services
- Seating and Wheelchair Evaluation Services
- Home Agency Follow-up
- Vocational Services
- Medical Imaging (x-ray, CT, MRI)
- Case Management
- Hand and Upper Extremity Program
- Pain Management
- Driving Evaluation
The Multi-Specialty Clinic at Shepherd Center
Get comprehensive treatment from Shepherd Center’s specially trained physicians and care staff. Patients receive individualized treatment plans designed to improve outcomes and their quality of life. At Shepherd Center’s Multi-Specialty Clinic, patients get access to:
- Physician care team
- Orthopedic physicians as consultants
- Nurse Practitioners for follow-up care to complement physician care
- The latest advances and research for the treatment of catastrophic injuries
- Potential participation in clinical trials at Shepherd Center
- Case manager to help with your disability needs
- Rehab and Medical Diagnosis and Treatment
- Specialized interventional procedures, including intrathecal pump management
- Assistive technology specialists
- Physical and occupational therapists
Please visit MyShepherdConnection.org for more information about spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, strokes, and much more. On this website, you will find a wealth of educational materials for patients, families, and caregivers. The information provided on this website is not meant to replace the advice and recommendations from a medical professional. Please consult your healthcare provider regarding specific medical conditions or treatment.
Interested in becoming a patient in our Multispecialty Clinic?
For more information about becoming a patient in our Multispecialty Clinic, please call 404-350-7502 and speak to one of our Access Case Managers. You may also have your health care provider fax a referral to 404-603-4509.
For more information about Spinal Cord Injuries, please visit our Spinal Cord Injury Types & Treatment page.
For more information about Brain Injuries, please visit our Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program page.