Brain Injury Care for U.S. Service Members
The SHARE Military Initiative at Shepherd Center is a comprehensive rehabilitation program that focuses on assessment and treatment for active duty or separated service members who have served in the U.S. military since September 11, 2001 and who are experiencing symptoms of or have a diagnosis of mild to moderate brain injury, or concussions and any co-occurring psychological or behavioral health concerns, including post-traumatic stress.
SHARE Military Initiative provides hope, assistance, support and education to service members and their families during their recovery treatment and beyond.
- If you have additional questions about the program, call 404-603-4314 or email ShareAdmissions@shepherd.org.
- Download the SHARE program scorecard and the SHARE transition program scorecard.
- Download our brochure for more information.
- Download the map to the location for the SHARE Military Initiative.
- Service in the military since September 11, 2001
- Must have symptoms of a brain injury, such as a traumatic brain injury or concussion, with co-occurring diagnoses or symptoms related to emotional and/or behavioral health, including anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress, etc.
- Commitment to rehabilitation
What Services Does SHARE Provide?
Mild traumatic brain injuries (TBI) can cause a variety of symptoms, including headaches and issues with balance, poor sleep, vision, memory and problem-solving, among others. But, like every SHARE Military Initiative client, every brain injury is unique. With that in mind, SHARE can customize an evaluation and treatment plan based on a client’s personal needs. Here is SHARE’s menu of services:
Comprehensive Day Program Therapy
- Eight- to 12-week treatment program
- Daily therapy
- Complimentary housing with on-site life skills support
- Visits with a physician, nurse, occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist, clinical social worker, psychologist, vocational specialist, case manager, recreational therapist, life coach and peer liaison
- Individual sessions and group sessions in skill development, community reintegration and family education
- 12 months of transition to community follow-up sessions with a life coach
- Additional services include Shepherd Spine and Pain Institute, complimentary lunches, transportation and access to Shepherd Center’s ProMotion Fitness Center.
Modified Day Program Therapy
- Four- to six-week treatment program
- Therapy from two to four days a week
- Complimentary housing with on-site life skills support depending on housing availability
- Visits with the following, depending on areas of need: physician, case manager, nurse, occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist, recreational therapist and psychologist
- Individual sessions and some individualized group treatments in foundational skill-building and family education
- Additional services may include Shepherd Spine and Pain Institute, complimentary lunches, access to Shepherd Center’s ProMotion Fitness Center, peer support and life coaching.
Single Service Therapy:
- Four to 12 weeks (varies based on individual needs)
- One to two visits per weeks
- Visits with one to two of the following: occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist
- Individual sessions
- Additional services may include psychology, recreational therapy, vocational counseling, case management and peer support.
How Are We Different?
- Dedicated treatment team experienced in working with veterans including physical and rehabilitation medicine, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech/language pathology, recreation therapy, nursing, case management, neuropsychology, psychology and counseling, chaplaincy and counseling for those in recovery for substance abuse.
- Post-traumatic stress outpatient treatment
- Individual, family and group therapy
- Client/family education
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Vestibular (dizziness and balance) evaluation and treatment
- Vocational/academic evaluation and community re-entry
- Life skills training and coaching
- Transition support to home
- Web-based support and education about tools and strategies for therapy support
- Pain management
Coordination of Specialty Services
- Sleep studies
- Financial planning
- Legal assistance
- Olympic-size pool and access to aquatics program
- Full access to fitness center, including personal trainers
- Assistive technology
- Driver evaluation and training
- Peer support
- Wheelchair seating
Why Should I Refer Patients to SHARE Military Initiative?
Shepherd Center is a recognized Humana Military Healthcare Services/TRICARE provider. This allows for a smooth referral, admission and treatment process. Timely and efficient care coordination permits the injured service member to receive specialty care and education. SHARE will cover all costs not covered by an insurance company or the VA through the generosity of donors to Shepherd Center's SHARE Military Initiative.
To Make a Donation in support of SHARE, Contact:
Call 404-350-7314 or give online at our secure giving site.
Director of Major and Planned Gifts
Shepherd Center Foundation
SHARE Military Initiative in the News
SHARE Military Initiative and former client Jarrad Turner were featured in a story on Fox 5 Atlanta. View the story here.