Goals for Stroke Rehabilitation Patients
Common Rehabilitation Goals for Stroke Patients
Shepherd Center’s stroke rehabilitation program provides individualized rehabilitation designed to promote the highest level of functioning that is possible. Because of this, we have established the following goals for how we care for each individual who participates in stroke rehabilitation at Shepherd Center.
- Provide intensive, individualized rehabilitation.
- Maximize each person’s functional abilities and level of independence.
- Provide extensive training and education for the person and their family.
- Rebuild the person’s quality of life.
- Organize activities that facilitate a smooth transition back to their home, community, school and/or work.
Stroke rehabilitation at Shepherd Center involves promoting independent movement because many patients are paralyzed or seriously weakened. Our team of stroke doctors and rehabilitation specialists helps patients perform progressively more complex and demanding tasks, such as bathing, dressing and using a toilet, and they encourage patients to begin using their stroke-impaired limbs while engaging in those tasks. Beginning to reacquire the ability to carry out these basic activities of daily living represents the first stage in a stroke survivor's return to functional independence.
For some stroke survivors, rehabilitation will be an ongoing process to maintain and refine skills and could involve working with specialists for months or years after the stroke.
Stroke Rehabilitation Outcome Scorecard
Visit this page to get the details about Shepherd Center's Stroke Rehabilitation Program patient outcomes that consistently exceed national averages. Our hope is that this data will help families, referral sources and the medical community make more informed decisions about the care of their loved ones and patients.
- Download our Inpatient Stroke Program Scorecard.
- Download our Shepherd Pathways Stroke Day Program Scorecard.
Learn More About Shepherd Center’s Stroke Program
Find out why you should choose Shepherd Center by learning about our goals and outcomes, and reading testimonials from patients and family members. Educational resources are also available to help you learn more about strokes.