Appointments and Referrals with the Pain Institute at Shepherd Center
It can feel overwhelming to deal with chronic pain. But it doesn't have to be. We want to help you feel like you have control over your life.
The Pain Institute at Shepherd Center is one of the country's most renowned care and treatment centers for chronic pain. That's a testament to the expertise of our medical professionals and how we treat all our patients: with care, respect, humor, and hope.
If you're new to the Pain Institute, this means starting with a patient evaluation. Our team will work with you to develop your personalized care plan, including pain management, physical therapy, psychological therapy, and more.
How to Request an Appointment with the Pain Institute
The Pain Institute at Shepherd Center requires a referral for all new patients from a licensed healthcare provider. This allows us to streamline care for those in need of our services. The information below will help you learn how to request an appointment.
The Pain Institute accepts new patients with referrals from healthcare providers and specialists.
To learn how to begin the referral process, please call our new patient coordinator at 404-603-4203 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
If you are currently receiving care at the Pain Institute, you can request an appointment by calling 404-355-1144 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
If you have not had an appointment with the Pain Institute in the last three years, we request that you call 404-603-4203 to connect with our new patient coordinator.
All new patients will require a referral from a healthcare provider. You can begin the referral process for your patient by downloading and completing our provider referral form.
Requested patient medical records include:
- Demographic sheet
- Consultation notes and office visit notes
- Diagnosis reports (X-rays, CTs, MRIs, EMGs, etc.)
- Procedure notes
- Operative notes
Preparing for Your First Appointment
We want to make the most of your visit here just as much as you do. Here are some tips on what to do before your first evaluation.
- List questions and topics you'd like to discuss with your care team.
- List of injuries you’ve had.
- Document the symptoms you are experiencing and for how long.
- Bring a partner, family member, or friend who can act as a second set of ears, take notes and prompt you if you forget anything.
- Ask for clarity on anything you don't understand. Medical terms can be daunting, and we want you to feel confident while you're here and after you leave.
For your first evaluation appointment, please also bring with you the following:
- Driver's license or ID
- Medical insurance card
- Any pertinent radiology imaging discs (if not already provided)
Dean Stroud Spine and Pain Institute at Shepherd Center
2020 Peachtree Road NW
Atlanta, GA 30309-1465
Monday to Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. ET
8:30 a.m. - Noon ET